If you ever end up in an unfortunate situation, where you have suffered injuries because of someone’s fault or negligent action, you should take all possible steps to protect your rights. California is a fault state. When you are injured in Los Angeles, you need to act soon and gather as much information as possible so that you can file an injury claim. Such injuries could be a result of different types of mishaps, such as car accidents, slip & fall accidents, medical malpractice, workplace accidents, and product-liability-related accidents. Here are the critical steps that you must follow.
- Call 911 immediately. This one is a no-brainer. If anyone is injured in an on-road accident, you should call 911 immediately to get the emergency responders at the scene. You should also notify the police if possible.
- Seek medical care. If you didn’t get treatment at the scene, ensure you see an injury doctor or trauma surgeon soon after the accident. Let the doctor know how the accident happened and your symptoms, which will be mentioned in the notes.
- Focus on evidence collection. Unless you are in a state where you cannot act, make sure to use the time after the accident to gather information. Depending on the type of accident, you may want to take pictures of your injuries and the scene. Also, ask for contact details, names, and addresses of every person who may be a relevant party to your claim.
- Inform the insurance company. If the case is likely to involve insurance, such as auto accidents, you should inform the insurance company at the earliest. Remember that you are required to do so within a reasonable time.
- Contact an injury lawyer. Before you take things ahead with the insurance claims adjuster, consider hiring an injury lawyer without any further delay. Your lawyer will discuss things with the insurance company and negotiate a settlement. If and when everything else fails, they will file a lawsuit.
There are also a few things you must avoid after an injury. Firstly, don’t post anything on social media, and don’t discuss the matter with people who don’t matter. You must keep things private until you get a settlement for the claim. Secondly, ensure that you don’t ignore the treatment plan suggested by your doctor. The insurance company will try and find all possible flaws in your claim, and it is best to listen to your lawyer.