Most people are likely aware of the benefits that humans can derive from the use of cannabidiol (CBD) as a natural remedy for health issues such as insomnia, arthritis, and anxiety, but did you know that CBD has shown similar benefits as a treatment for dogs? In fact, when it comes to man’s best friend and CBD, all of the benefits may not yet be known, as it hasn’t been studied as deeply as human use as of yet—but that is beginning to change. For example, one current study by the AKC is looking at CBD as a treatment for doggie epilepsy. So, if you’re considering CBD for your pooch, how can you be sure to select the right CBD product for your pup? Well, for the answer to that question (and more!) read on below.
While CBD has been shown to be safe and effective for use by dogs, there are still considerations to make when picking CBD products for any animal. This includes the purity of the product, the ingredients used, the strength of a dose, and how to give it to your dog successfully, among many more.
There is obviously more to picking the right CBD treat or tincture for your pet than is listed above and don’t worry if CBD for pets can seem a little overwhelming. We will break down selecting the right CBD product for your pooch to its component steps and help guide you through them. And be sure to stick around afterward, as we will highlight a few of our favorite CBD products specifically formulated for your pets!
Choosing the Right CBD Product for Your Pet
1. Identify your pet’s needs: Before anything else, look at your dog’s health situation and decide if CBD might be of benefit. For example, if your dog has separation anxiety issues, a calming CBD treat may be in order. Have a dog that is suffering from arthritis? A good CBD supplement, one that is designed to help ease your pup’s aching joints, might just do the trick. Knowing what you are looking for will help you pick the right product for your dog’s health requirements later.
2. Consider the purity of CBD products: There are a wide variety of CBD products for dogs, each with different standards when it comes to the purity of the CBD on offer. Much like how there can be broad-and full-spectrum formulations for humans, the same is true for CBD designed with puppies in mind. Another aspect to consider is how much CBD is present in what you’re giving your dog. Some products can contain up to 500mg of CBD per container, which makes safely dosing out the CBD of the utmost importance.
3. What ingredients are used? You wouldn’t take a CBD product with ingredients you are unsure of, so you shouldn’t expect your dog to do so either. When it comes to the purity of ingredients there are a couple of things to look out for. Some ingredients, such as hemp seed oil, can be a benefit as hemp seed will help aid your dog’s digestion. And, of course, promises of pesticide-free and non-GMO ingredients should be a given for anything you are putting in your dog’s body.
4. How strong is the product? As touched on briefly above, something that is rarely focused on is the strength and proper dosing of CBD for dogs. Dosing CBD for dogs is done most often as a ratio of CBD to body weight. Generally, if you are giving your dog 1-2mg of CBD per 10 pounds of weight, you should be fine. The more consistent you are with a daily CBD routine the better, as your dog’s body will adjust to ingest the cannabidiols more efficiently.
5. Administering CBD to your pet: The last step is one of the most crucial to consider before making any purchases, how will you be physically dispensing CBD to your pet? After all, no one wants to spend money on a product that their dog refuses to, or is unable to, receive a benefit from. When it comes to getting CBD into your dog’s system, there are generally two options, the first is to use a liquid dropper to give CBD oil to your dog orally, the second is to give your dog CBD in treat form.
The former can often come in flavors, such as chicken, to help entice picky dogs; the latter may take the form of a soft chewable treat and will be slower acting. Apart from this, visiting this site would be of great help if you are in search of the best cbd oil for dogs.
First Time Dog CBD Buyer’s Guide
Now that you know more about what to look for when selecting CBD for your dog or cat, let’s take some time to look at four of our favorite CBD pet products. All of these products are highly effective, are formulated specifically for pet consumption, and come from reputable brands that you can trust with your dog’s health. Without further ado, here are our top picks for doggie CBD tinctures and treats.
Joy Organics Premium CBD Tincture for Dogs, Cats & Pets
Joy Organics is one of the most reputable CBD brands around, and their products for pets are no different. The brand prides itself on using only organic ingredients of the highest quality and CBD that is always completely free of THC and this tincture follows this tradition.
What we like: Independent lab verification of all their products should give all pet parents peace of mind that their dog is getting what they paid for.
What we don’t like: Like all CBD tinctures, getting the drops into an obstinate pup’s mouth can be easier said than done. If this is an issue, consider mixing the CBD directly into your dog’s kibble.
Joy Organics CBD Dog Chews
Another product from Joy Organics, these dog chews are a great way to easily introduce CBD to your pet. With many of the same benefits of a conventional dog treat, these chews can happily trick most dogs into taking their medicine.
What we like: Using the individual dog chews is an easy and simple way to ensure you are properly dosing your dog’s CBD intake.
What we don’t like: As with most chewable CBD dog treats, these chews will be slower acting as they will need to be digested before being able to enter the dog’s bloodstream and take effect.
CBDistillery CBD Oil for Dogs and Cats
This CBD oil has been designed for both dogs and cats by CBDistillery, which makes this a good choice for those that have multiple species of pets at home. The tinctures come in two different sizes, a 30ml bottle with 600mg CBD and a 30ml bottle with 150mg of CBD.
What we like: The offering of a specifically formulated relief and relax tincture.
What we don’t like: Cost-conscious consumers should take note, as CBDistillery’s offerings are not the most cost-effective options that we have highlighted.
Leaf Remedys Pet Tincture Isolate CBD (500mg)
This tincture from Leaf Remedys is an isolate, which means that the CBD has been processed uniquely from other options on this list. This process is supposed to preserve all the vital phytonutrients and cannabinoids that have been shown to give CBD its beneficial properties.
What we like: The tincture comes in three fun flavors, bacon, chicken, and salmon, all of which are designed to entice picky puppies.
What we don’t like: Dosing the tincture requires more work than other CBD pet options that are available.
We’re Always Here to Help!
There you have it, everything you need to know to help select the right CBD treatment for your puppy. We talked about what to look out for in terms of ingredients, purity, and purpose, and we even highlighted some of our favorite CBD products that are formulated specifically for our furry friends.
We hope you enjoyed learning about CBD for pets and that you discovered something new along the way. Please don’t hesitate to reach out with any questions or comments you may have. Thank you for reading!